Monday, April 20, 2009

Lee's Second Band


Q: OK, so what happened after Extreme Delusion dissolved?


A: Well, I went to a new high school starting junior year. In my physics class, I met a guy named Ian who was a blues fan like me, and played saxophone and flute. We planned to jam sometime. But when he said he was in the school marching band, I didn't know what to expect; was he going to want to play John Phillip Sousa marches? Ian turned out to be a cool cat who could play the blues and jazz with great technical skill as well as improvisational flair and emotion. He got me into John Coltrane, and during my junior year we played a few live gigs and recorded several tunes, whose stories you can read in the Istrail Tunes archive: "Blue Rain," "A Picture of You," "Amiss," and "Nostalgia"




Ian eventually went off to rabbinical school, and I hope he's entertaining a congregation somewhere with his musical stylings.

No comments: